Tuesday, April 2, 2013

design: paneling

I thought I'd keep going with wall treatments this week. Yesterday, you saw how grass cloth can add warmth and texture to any space. Now let's look at paneling. Architectural details like paneling add character and a sense of history. It can make a house that is built in 2013 look like is was built in 1913. It's instant age, and it feels like there was an evolution with the space. It is also indicative of craftsmanship, and an overall well built and thoughtfully designed home. Take a look at these examples. The paneling in the room is simple and modern. Although black might seem like a scary color, I think its warm, dramatic, edgy and classic.

via
via

This entire Cashiers, NC house is absolutely gorgeous! The architect and designer mixed a number of different types of paneling throughout. I think it evokes a luxury mountain retreat, perfectly. 

via
via
via
The Washington Schoolhouse Hotel in Park City, Utah deftly mixes simple board and batten paneling with ornate European antiques. What an elegant and eclectic pairing. There is real energy in mashing up two totally different styles in one cohesive design. Board and Batten is easy to fake... check out Young House Love's hallway upgrade.

via
via
Thom Filicia's lake house is the epitome of rustic cool. I think, the natural paneling keeps the whole space looking very casual and down to earth.





Isn't his tiny kitchen a great use of space? And I love his bar, you know he throws a great party! You can check out the whole house here.

Maybe you already have or prefer more traditional paneling, I think painting everything out the same color makes it look really fresh and current. Nina Garcia's Living and Dining rooms are tres chic, and au courant.

via

via
via
I also love it when traditional paneling is gilded. I remember my grandparents house, Oakton, having gold trim in all of the formal entertaining rooms, and I just loved it...
This room just exudes decadence, but it still feels relevant in today's interiors. So super glam glam, eh Martyn?

via
via
via

via
Ok so this post already pretty long, I think I'll split it up and post more tomorrow. Horizontal and painted paneling coming up next! Are you guys inspired? I am!
xo Lea Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment