Wednesday, November 4, 2009

entertained: a easy spicy soup

so last night I had to whip up dinner in a pinch. it was cold and I was kinda tired so I wanted something quick, easy, and satisfying. I came up with dumpling soup!



Now let me start off by saying, I am so NOT a chef, I barely know how to boil water! But just like everyone else has been tightening their belts and M and I are no exception, and so to the kitchen I go to whip up my own CHEAP and healthy meal.

OK, I started with a bag of frozen chicken dumplings from Trader Joe's and a bag of frozen Asian stir fry vegetables, also from TJ's. I'm thinking I need something fresh, and then I spy a half bag of spinach, double points for using up something before it goes bad!

Alrighty, I've got stuff to work with but, now how to put it all together?
I put some chicken stock, I usually have that in the pantry, into a big soup pot and throw in the frozen veg. I brought that to a boil and added the spinach and dumplings and brought them up to temperature. The directions on the bag of dumplings said, "Don't over cook!" so I made sure to put them in last. And Voila! a soup was made (in like 7 minutes!)

I let my concoction simmer till M got home from work and then gave it a another taste... and it was good but... it needed something. So into the fridge for the ever present and often used chili garlic sauce (btw- this is the only thing not purchased at TJ's, did I mention that I love that freaking place?) and a heaping tablespoon of it went into the pot. Be CAREFUL, that stuff is H-O-T, but so so very tasty. It really made the soup. And best of all M loved it. He had 2 giant bowls.

Another successful dinner... I'm getting pretty good at this! I will keep ya posted on new culinary dscoveries

xo Lea

1 comment: